Jennifer's QuickBooks Corner

Covering QuickBooks, tax, other accounting issues, and other useful business items.

Published by Solid Rock Accounting Services
Jennifer A. Thieme, Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

My Accountant Changed My QuickBooks File & I Feel Lost - Now What?

The Problem

At one of the accounting forums I visit, somebody wrote to explain a problem she was having in her QuickBooks file. After some posts back and forth with her, I saw that it boiled down to some changes her accountant made to the file - procedural changes which seemed unnecessary to me, and which happened without the file owner's permission or understanding. I told her:

"Send the file back and explain that her changes don't work for your way of doing things. Tell her to put things back the way you had them. Also tell her not to change your procedures without first explaining the new way she wants it, and also getting your permission for the change. Am I being unreasonable? Aren't you the one paying her bill?"

I understand that sometimes a change needs to be made in a QuickBooks file. I also understand that sometimes a change does not need to be made. Some times it's simply a preference issue. This means that one person likes it one way, one person likes it another way. Neither is wrong.

Who's File Is It, Anyway?

It seems that sometimes we, as accountants and bookkeepers, forget who owns the file. Clearly, the person who posted the question was just as unclear as her accountant. Had she been clear that it was her file, not the accountant's, she would have known what to do without asking.

My Advice for Bookkeepers & Accountants

Be careful about implementing changes - people often have habits developed, and it's tough to change them. Don't do it unless it's absolutely necessary, make sure you get their consent, and train them so they understand the new procedure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home