Jennifer's QuickBooks Corner

Covering QuickBooks, tax, other accounting issues, and other useful business items.

Published by Solid Rock Accounting Services
Jennifer A. Thieme, Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

My Current Project

I'm growing my business! It's very exciting.

No, no, not in the way you may have imagined. I'm not picking up tons and tons of new clients, althought I did pick up two more in the past two weeks.

I'm growing my business from the inside. You see, I'm in the middle of documenting all of my processes, all of what it takes to run this business. One client at a time, I'm writing down every detail, step by step, of what needs to happen for them. A typical list might begin like this:

1. Open QuickBooks.
2. From the Banking menu, select Reconcile. The Begin Reconcilation window opens.
3. Select the correct account to reconcile. Tab to the Date. Enter the ending balance as shown on the statement....

Literally, step by step instructions, for each and every client. I have this idea that once I get everybody documented, life will get a little easier.

Easier? How?

Well, as it is now, I carry a ton of information inside my head, information about what-to-do-when for each client. We're talking about checking accounts, savings accounts, invoices, vendor bills, reconciliations, loan balances, income, expenses, payroll, payroll taxes, payroll tax returns, financial statements.....

Staggering, isn't it? And all this for 26 clients! It's like one of those Vegas shows where the guy is spinning plates, except some of my plates crashed last spring, and this was not good. I decided that plates crashing was not optional. Hence, the documentation.

So I'm trying to spend about 30 minutes each day, working on it. It's not too bad, once I get started.

If you've ever read the E-Myth, then you may remember that self-employed people have three personalities lurking inside them:

1. The Technician
2. The Manager
3. The Entrepreneur

I'm fine as a Technician, and even the Entrepreneur gets some air time occassionally. But up to this point, The Manager has been quite dormant! So now I've awakened The Manager in me, and it's writing these processes.

I can't wait until it's all done, and I can run the business with a step-by-step manual, and even hand off some of the work to others.

Yep, it's an exciting time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home